• Full Name:
    Arthur Ridgway Poyntz
  • Role:
    Seller of homœopathic medicines
  • Occupation/s:
  • State:
    South Australia
  • Date first identified using homoeopathy in Australia:
[1829 - 1880]


Arthur Ridgway Poyntz was born about 1829. He, his wife Sarah (Sarah Louisa Parker), his two year old daughter Elizabeth, and an infant, arrived from England aboard the South Carolina in November 1857. The shipping lists record their surname as 'Pontz'. The birth of their son, Arthur Ernest, was registered in Melbourne in 1857. Their second son, James Stephen (who later became a chemist at Millicent) was born in Echuca, Victoria, while Rowland Borlance was born in July 1861 in Wangaratta, Victoria. At some stage after the birth, the family moved to South Australia.


In a statement made in 1869, Mr Poyntz said that during the year 1865 he had worked with Dr Thomas Graham, medical practitioner at Mount Gambier, South Australia.


By 1866 the family were living in Penola in South Australia, where newspaper advertisements stated that he was the local agent for the newspaper called the Border Watch.


An advertisement of July 1868 stated that he was a chemist and druggist at Penola.


In December 1868 it was announced that Mr Poyntz had been appointed as dispenser, clerk, receiver and issuer of stores at the Mount Gambier Hospital. However, it appears that he did not remain long in that position. An advertisement of August 1869 stated that he was about to resign as dispenser at the Hospital and set up business as a chemist in Mount Gambier. He officially resigned in late April 1870 and about a week later the employees of the Hospital presented him with a gold watch-guard and locket as a mark of their esteem.


Mr Poyntz established his pharmacy in Commercial Street, Mount Gambier in 1870.


In 1871 Mrs Poyntz announced that she was about to open a preparatory school for boys under the age of ten.  She ran this school for several years.


During mid-April, 1873 there was an outbreak of diphtheria in Mount Gambier and, as several people who had the condition had visited Poyntz's pharmacy, the local doctor requested that he close the pharmacy for a period and place the premises under quarantine. This Mr Poyntz did. Sadly, however, his daughter Bessie had contracted the disease and she died just a few days later on 20th April.


Arthur Ridgway Poyntz died on 6th May, 1880.


© Barbara Armstrong


  • Created:
    Thursday, 04 October 2012
  • Last modified:
    Sunday, 10 August 2014