Pritchard

  • Full Name:
    George Alfred Pritchard
  • Role:
    Chemist & seller of homœopathic medicines
  • Occupation/s:
    Chemist, Pastoralist
  • State:
    South Australia
  • Date first identified using homoeopathy in Australia:
    1874

(Material researched & presented by Barbara Armstrong)

 

[1851 - 1944]

 

George Alfred Pritchard was born to Robert George Pritchard and Hannah Disley at Everton, St Augustine, Lancashire in 1851. He was christened on November 23, 1851.

 

Soon afterwards, the family decided to travel to Australia, arriving in Melbourne on the Covenanter in December 1852. According to the 1856 Electoral Roll, Robert was a joiner living in Dover Street, Richmond. His mother died in 1861 and his father died in 1866.

 

By 1870 or early 1871 (at age 19) George had moved to Mt Gambier. At first he was chemists' assistant to Robert Jackson, Commercial Street, Mt Gambier. (It is interesting to note that many years later, Mr Pritchard's eldest son married the youngest daughter of Mr Jackson.)

 

In 1878 he married Fanny Allison, daughter of William Ruler Allison, architect. They had two boys and two girls.

 

Some time after March 1873 George Pritchard became dispenser and storekeeper at the Mount Gambier Hospital.

 

In June 1873 he purchased the business of a local chemist, Mr H. Brown and thereafter operated the pharmacy under the name of G.A. Pritchard. However, he retained the position of dispenser at the local hospital until January 1874.

 

The 1882-3 edition of the South Australian Directory stated that he was a councillor at Mt Gambier, giving his address as Comrel Street, Mt Gambier.

 

The pharmacy was sold to C.B. Flint in 1886. (For more information about the pharmacy see the entry for G.A. Pritchard in the Chemist section of this website.)

 

By 1882 he had bought Myora Station, an estate of 17,000 acres on the Casterton Road, only a mile or two from the Victorian border, of which 4,000 acres were just over the border. When purchased, much of the property was covered with scrub and unusable land, which he arranged to be cleared. The property was described as having 10,000 sheep, 350 head of cattle, with buildings 'commodious and well-built' and 'an immense quantity of first-class farm and station machinery'. The property was often visited by others interested in agricultural pursuits and they were interested to view his experimental plots of oats amounting to 350 acres. It was reported that what they saw revealed what could be done by scientific farming.

 

The Mr Pritchard and his wife often entertained people during fox hunts conducted on his property.

 

Fanny Pritchard died in April 1903, aged 49.

 

In 1911 George bought 75 acres near the racecourse at Mt Gambier.

 

The 1924 edition of the South Australian Directory listed Mr Pritchard as being at Bay Road, Mt Gambier.

 

In October 1944 it was reported that George was still in good health, having turned 93 years of age. However, just two months later George Alfred Pritchard died on 20 December, 1944 at his residence, Port MacDonnell.

 

© Barbara Armstrong

 

  • Created:
    Monday, 01 October 2012
  • Last modified:
    Sunday, 10 August 2014